Sunday, September 14, 2014

Shawl to shrug



I did not realize it had been that long since I posted until I started to download the pictures and realized there were a 150 so I am now going to have several posts over the next couple of days just to catch up.

The first one is my sister got a lovely shawl for her birthday the problem is that she is not really a shawl person because she moves her arms to much when she is teaching. I saw this picture on Pinterest and wanted to try it in a fabric.

Easy Peasy shrug -- I just made this in green.  Love it and learned a new way to start a DC row  - No turn DC, instead of chaining.


I also kept track of the measurements in my notebook so if it worked I could do it again from some interesting material.

First I draped it on her and used safety pins to get the right length and opening for the arms. (I learned the hard way always use safety pins or small binder clips when pinning anything close to the face or sensitive areas. Some people gets so pissy when they get poked.) She wanted the sleeves to be semi close fitted since she does a lot of writing for her class.
I folded the material in half and cut off the fringe. Then marked the angle for the sleeve part.

I used a small zigzag stitch because of the material I did not want there to be a lot of stress on the seam. Then I hemmed in the end. I did not cut the material and serge the edges until I tried it on her for adjustments because it is easier to make something smaller than try to make it larger.
To make sure the top pulled in properly and so it did not fit to tight across the shoulder I added a little elastic to the neck in back.



It does not take a lot but it makes the fit better in the back for someone plus sized.  I wanted drape not snug. You can see from the picture that it is not too obvious but it makes such a difference. I think it came out fairly well and now it is something she can use often.





No comments:

Post a Comment