Monday, September 22, 2014

paper hemming

I have seen this technique several times on Pinterest and decided to try it. Mainly due to the fact that I always have trouble with small hems. I even bought the rolled hem foot which I can only get good results 1/2 the time. I was working on a shirt for my nephew and wanted a nice tight, clean, small hem and of course it was not a straight hem. The posts have talked about using tear away stableizer, frayed fabric, tissue or wax paper, one person even suggested using adding machine paper because it was thin enough to remove easily and still support the hem.

So I decided to put my own spin on it and because I did not have the other stuff. I used some print paper, a ruler and a rotary cutter to make 1" strips.



I experimented with different widths of course, too small and you can not get a clear tear away, too big is a waste and hard to maneuver around curves. 3/4" actually works but I wanted to get the most use out of each piece and with a 1" width I can actually recycle and use the other side for another project.


On the right side of the fabric line up the paper with the edge of the material. I have the need set all the way to the right to get as small a seam as I can. If you need is not adjustable just move the fabric over until you have the distance from the edge you need.


I do not bother with pinning the paper I just feed the next piece in as I go. As I get closer to the curves I will tear the paper to allow me to adjust around the curve. You do not even need to tear completely across just enough to bend.


Once the whole hem is done it should look like this.


Now comes the pressing, Make sure the Iron is not too hot especially if you are using wax paper. I am folding the paper out so that the sewn edge goes underneath toward the back of the garment.


You will notice that I used a very small stitch (little over 1) because the closer the stitch the easier it will be to tear away.


Now that it is completely ironed you will fold again towards the wrong side of the material. I ironed as I did this then placed a couple of pins. I think the ironing the edge made it easier. You can already see how small and clean the hem is going to be.


You will notice the needle is in the same position which puts it just on the edge of the fold.


This is what you should have when finished. now comes the fun part.


I found it easier to pull towards you and out away from the seam at the same time with a quick tug. Any bits and pieces of paper can be pulled later or use a damp cloth to clear it up.


When finished you have the following hem with maybe 3/16" of paper left in the seam. So not difficult and gives you such a nice finish better then most methods and not needing to use a lot of pins. I have already washed the shirt and did not feel any pilling probably because of the narrowness and the fact that it has no place to go. What will happen in the long run not sure of but since my family tend to hard their clothes it should not matter anyway.



No comments:

Post a Comment