Monday, September 15, 2014

Paper curtains for teacher

As I have said before my sister is a teacher and when she was setting up her classroom she needed a set of curtains. Easy right, problem was that there were three windows and she already had curtains for  two them.



Very nice, very distinctive and impossible to match as the four panels were identical. While I could have done the same thing it would have looked mismatched so we threw so ideas back and forth and came up with what goes best with pencils "PAPER". So I cut four pieces of material in white and sewed them together leaving about 5 inches open on the top for the rod. I did it this way so that once they are sewn together and turned right-side out there would be a nice finish to the edges.


Next of course was the blue lines, here I cheated a little since they were going to be sewn in straight lines with little room for movement I did not bother to cut on the bias. I just cut the strips 1" wide then used my bias tape maker to form the lines I would need. There was some blue shiny cheap sateen left over from some long ago project as well as some red for the line on the side.



I laid out the white background and starting from bottom I used my ruler to mark the edges of each line then pinned them. I used the width of the ruler as the spacing which was approximately 2 1/2". This made it easier to pin. I also checked after every fourth one to make sure I was even in measurement from the bottom because it is easy to start going crooked.


The walking foot made the sewing of the stripes easier. I started to put them in with a wide zigzag but the edges buckled so instead sewed both edges down. I stopped the stripes about 10 inches from the top to make the header. The I measured 4 inches in from the left side to place the red strip. As I got close to the top I had to complete it by hand because of the opening for the curtain rod. I made 3 circles from black material 3 inches wide and spaced them out. I think it came out well. An interesting and fun project.




No comments:

Post a Comment