Thursday, May 15, 2014

Skirt to tank

I had a skirt that I loved the fabric hated the skirt so time to redo it.
First thing was to get rid of the waist band and since the top was pleated this opened up more fabric.


I measure from the top of my bust to under my arm and then from the middle of my underarm to side to get the dept and width of the cut I would need. The pockets did not matter since they were going to be cut out but I kept them for the should strap since I did not have a lot of material to play with. I cut strips and joined them to get two decent strips aproximately 10" long and 2" wide. I had some green satin left from another project and cut two strips 10" and 6" wide.
 I used iron on interfacing to give the fabric some weight then sewed the smaller strip to the wider one to form a tube. I made sure to serge the edges before turning.

I pressed them flat then sewed in the ditch to give them stability and strength. Remember that the patterned strip had several joints.
I added a small strip of the green satin to the front and back and added a small elastic to gather the material and help tie the look to the straps. The straps were placed on at a slight angle to make them lie flatter and prevent them from slipping

Simple Tank Top with straps wide enough to hide a bra straps. The Material is cool and looks good with jeans.



No comments:

Post a Comment