Friday, May 2, 2014

Lace butterfly

Since I seem to be on a broomstick skirt run here's another. My sister for some strange reasons loves orange so when she saw this one at the thrift store she fell in love.
I did like the touches of brown it added depth to the skirt. This one was a 2X so there was plenty of material. I did the usual removing the waist band and opening the sides up. 
Now I could have just hemmed the armhole and closed the shoulder seam but I wanted something different. We are going to a family reunion at the end of may and definitely needed some comfortable but stylish traveling clothes. I decided that the front neckline needed something to take away from all that orange and to give a focal point. My sister went a little nuts on a site that had lace appliques and there was this pretty brown butterfly that just went perfectly.
I have never sewn on this type of applique. first I pinned then tacked with colored thread to remove easily. I thought at first of using a zizzag stitch over the ends to attach it. That didn't work mainly because the fabric is too gauzy. Next time I know to use a stabilizer. I ended up sewing on the thicker middle with a small stitch 1.5 following along the edge. Then I did a blanket stitch all around the edge to keep it flat. I think it turned out pretty good.

Its perfect for summer and for casual wear. For work she uses a brown belt to give it more shape and make it look professional. Either way the butterfly serves as a great focal point. It works so well on her because she has a large bust otherwise I would have used a small focal.

No comments:

Post a Comment