Sunday, July 13, 2014

Extending the life of a hoodie

A friend of the family has a favorite hoodie that as you can see was on a downward slope to the trashcan. At first I figured that I could trim one layer and fold the other layer over to make the cuff but the damage was too much. So I decided to get creative.

First I removed the cuff and did a quick press to smooth the edge. I keep a bag near the sewing table of scraps that could be used, nothing too small because I have a hoarding habit when it comes to fabric and found 1/2 a heavyweight jersey tshirt and cut two rectangles.


I cut the fabric 4 inches wide and 1/2 inch longer then the sleeve. Then I folded each piece in half , sewed it shut with a small zigzag and serged the ends. So I ended up with a neat tube that stretched nicely.


I used a small zigzag stitch to attach it to the sleeve. I was not worried about unraveling I just wanted to be sure it would stretch as needed. Normally I would recommend a dye dip to refresh the color but she like the faded look.

Sometime it is the little things that can give a garment a new life. A 1/2 hour and small piece of fabric later you have a new sleeve. This is also a good idea for the one that fits but the cuff is just too tight or fits funny because it is meant for someone smaller. You will usually find that when you undo the seam the fabric will usually stretch a lot more then you expect so making the cuff bigger will not hurt anything. Measure your wrist for a snug fit and cut the rectangle 1/2 inch longer. Then ease the fabric to the cuff after the first wash it will look natural.

1 comment: