Saturday, April 5, 2014

skirt to shopping bag and purse

My sister wanted to make something for her mother-in-law and since she likes shopping bags we decided to make her something unique. I started with this skirt I picked up at the thrift store.
 I decided to make a shopping bag and a purse since there was enough material in the broomstick skirt. I cut along a seam and made sure to keep the inner slip intact to use in the purse.

 I had a nice brown canvas left over from another project there was just large enough to make the inside bag since I would need strength to hold groceries. I cut two strips 4 inches wide and used an iron on interfacing to give some stiffness and stability.

 I ironed a 1/4 inch along the side to hide the raw edge then folded it half then top stitched a decorative design on both sides.



 To make the corner I marked in 4 inches then folded it in and sewed, then sewed along the bottom.


 I did not sew the skirt shut on the bottom because I wanted it to look more flowing.

 For the purse I needed a handle so I dyed so leftover yellow bias to match the color in the skirt then braided it to make a strong handle.
 I sewed the bottom of the bag first then sewed the inner slip and let it drop to the inside to act as the inner lining.
 I added a snap to the center to close the purse and added a little trim.
One thrift skirt to two bags using leftover material. 

2 comments:

  1. Both bags are lovely! I've never considered reusing a broomstick style skirt. Very cool.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you I found that broomstick style skirt are fun to use especially since once you take off the waist band you have so much material to work with.

      Delete