Wednesday, April 30, 2014

Purple skirt to summer top

I love peasant skirts they are just so much fun to work. The good thing is that once you get rid of the waistband you can fit the skirt to a much larger size and still have it look good. The skirt I am working with is a Medium size that I purchased from the Dollar General when they were having a sale. Actually I bought several since they were buy 2 get one free.
After trimming the top I opened up the sides to accommodate my arms. I knew the design I was going for so I measured from my collarbone to under my arm then used some ribbon I had from another project to finish the armhole. I had already measured the length of my shoulder and decided to use some satin blanket binding that I had.
I am not sure why the color looks different I am going to assume different lighting most of the pictures are from an overhead light but some are from a room with an over the table flourescent light. Originally I was only going to use one piece that had been opened but I did like where the first tier hit on my bust so I added a second piece and use some decorative stitches to give it some interest. Of course doing so lowered the arm opening so I used more of the blanket binding.

I did this instead of sewing the opening because it gave a better drape at the arm and bust.

I made a v-neck and used some of the sheer ribbon I used on sides to give the neckline some stability. I made sure that the ribbon was actually shorter then the neckline to help pull it together. Then I used the same decorative stitch.


Not the best modeling job I think I look drunk but you can see where the first tier not hits just under the bust which looks better then across the middle. I normally wear a 4X shirt so you can see how well a medium skirt does when converted. Blanket binding comes in so many colors and makes great straps whether you want a halter or something more concealing.

3 comments:

  1. I love the colors and the pattern on this. How creative! I found your website while Googling ideas on what to do with a tank top that's too big for me. I wish we were neighbors so you could show me what to do! Loving your site!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you. Did you ever figure what to do with the tank top? there are some fun ideas on Pinterest

    ReplyDelete