Thursday, January 31, 2013

Carry Case



Back to Christmas gifts my niece got a tablet that needed a cover but something that is her style so first I found a hardback book that would fit and took the insides out. Then she gave me the leg of the pants that she made into shorts since she liked that material.
 When I hot glue I make sure it is at least 1/2" from the edge you will see see why later. After it is glued only then do I trim the excess material. Better too big and trim later then cut first and be too short later.
Since it takes so long to go all the way around I use a piece of paper and run the iron on a low setting over the glue to smooth it out. Not too hot.
I glue the inside material in the crease and within 1/2 of the edge. Then because I just do not trust Hot Glue not to harden and release I then sew the edges of the inner cover to the outside. This is why I do not put glue on the edges. While you do have to do this I think it gives it a cleaner edge versus using glue.

On the side the tablet is going to rest on I use tape to mark where the elastic is going to go. Once again here come the ponytail holders. I use hot glue then sew the corners down. To find how far in you need lay the tablet down place the tape around then stretch one elastic on the corner and mark the tape.

Now comes the pouch for the tablet. You could just leave it in the elastic all the time but I do not think it is that secure. Using the same material I did a quilted pouch and the tape makes a good guideline when you have trouble seeing. I wanted the sides open a little so it could breath and so if she wants to use her small laptop instead it would fit.

Here is the finished project I hot glued then sewed the pouch in. I wanted the opening to face the inside so that it cannot slip out. Then using some of the left over material I made an elastic band. Normally I would do a small loop with velcro but since the material stretches it would become distorted too easily.

For most people this is a one day project but since I have to take too many breaks it took about 3 days. This is one of those projects that anyone can do. I have used it for kindles as well as smaller laptops. Just find a hard cover book that fits.

No comments:

Post a Comment