Wednesday, August 15, 2012

Dressing a plus size patient

Our sister is physically disabled and at this time cannot get out of bed, as she weighs over 300 lbs. you can imagine how hard it is to get her dressed. For a time we used hospital gowns but they are boring, ugly, and too short and do nothing for morale. This is especially true during special events like birthdays, holidays or anytime the family gathers round.
Around one holiday I decided to make something to wear. The way I saw it why did it have to go around her? She was not getting out of bed so why try to force her into something traditional. Therefore, I grabbed a pattern and modified to make a basic empire waist short sleeve dress. However, I did not close the back up. Instead once her arms were through then the sides were tucked in. there was a tape at the neck line to tie shut if needed and the skirt went down to her feet. She was completely covered and looked completely dressed.

This one is in her favorite lepord print but I did not preshrink the material and it shrunk badly. My bad :(

Then I took some of her older clothes including her favorite t-shirt cut them up the back, attached the skirt and made her several outfits. I think they look good on her and she feels more normal.



No comments:

Post a Comment