Wednesday, February 6, 2013

DIY Sewing Dummy

I need to sew in short increments due to back and hip problems and it can be hard on the model since I cannot exactly interrupt them every time I need them. It doesn't help that some of my work is done late in the night or early in the morning depending on when I feel like it. I have seen lots of tutorials out there on how to do this and thought it was worth a shot.


Couple of mistakes I made that I did better in my niece's was be sure to make the neck all the way up. It makes it easier to judge for tops. Bring the bottom down to mid thigh it makes it easier to judge fit for skirts and dresses. We were not afraid to make it tighter as well since there will be some stretch when you get ready to stuff it. 



Someday I will probably redo my sisters.The hanger was just to give a way to hold it not really for hanging. I kept all the smaller scraps and used that as well as fiber to fill them then sewed the ends shut. At the bottom I cut a piece of cardboard to fit so that it would sit up easier.While the form was on them I drew lines for centers and waist and bust marks.
Usually I will set it on a small folding table since it works the best for skirts and longer shirts.
It is so much easier to do the rough fittings and changes on these then try them on the people when I am close to fitting. It does not take as many rolls of tape as you would think. Just make sure the shirt is long enough and use plastic wrap around the neck and arms as needed. Before cutting the back I placed marks so that once I got it off I could tape it back together accurately.
To find how to videos and instructions type in how to make a duct tape dummy there are hundreds and any will work.

No comments:

Post a Comment