Monday, December 17, 2012

Necessity blah blah or whatever works

I had an idea but thought it was crazy then I saw someone else pin about a skirt made out of a sheet with a pretty pattern and decided okay maybe I was not that crazy. Fabric can be expensive especially if you are sewing something that is really only meant to last a few months or can be damaged easily. Such as my sisters bed dresses, (see prior post) or around the house shifts for me and my sister. So I looked at the sheets and found Walmart had a sale on Twin flat sheets for 4.00. I decided that white was too boring and decided to twist the fabric then soak in a large pan of dye. I took it out of the dye still twisted then loosened it up dip it back in then tossed in the washer, the picture is not the best but you can see streaking the dye did nice marbling effect.


 Then I laid out the pattern which fit very well is little left over. Since the dress is not too fitted the twin size worked best. 
Now that I know it works I working on one with stripes and plan to get more in different florals. The dress takes about 1/2 a day to make including dying and the material cost was 4.00 for the sheet and 1.50 for a 1/2 bottle of dye. You cannot beat that with a stick. 

No comments:

Post a Comment