Monday, July 6, 2015

Skirt To Top With Lace Sleeve

I am very found of broomstick skirts or really any skirt that is really gathered because there is so much material to play with and a plus size woman can get away with using a smaller size. In this case the skirt was an XL and my sister wears a 4-5XL. The material was white and navy but there were spots so I put it in some yellow dye, and took off the waistband.



I wanted something with sleeves in a kimono style but the top would be too short if I tried that from the top, so I decided to try something different. I cut the top straight across then measure down six inches come in straight. I already had the bust measurement plus 3 inches so knew were the line would end. I then angled the cut out to the bottom to give an a-line shape. We wanted a loose flowy top but not too loose. 



I forgot to take picture of the next step but all I did was measure 4 inch out from the center then measure from that pin to the edge of the sleeve (18") then cut a rectangle of lace 14" wide by 18" long. I like doing it this way because I can make the sleeve as wide as I need by adjusting the width of the lace without trying to force the fabric to the right size. It it is too narrow take off and redo. You can also taper the width if you want the ends more narrow or wider. I sewed that to the sleeve and finished the edges with a serger because the material unravels.
I finished it off with yellow binding all around the inside and the end of the arms. I did this instead of folding and hemming because there is nothing more annoying then a rough edge irritating you.


It actually looks good with a white or yellow bra or better yet a strapless. This took very little time and makes a nice summer top.

2 comments: